Monday, September 20, 2010

M O C K up

brewing
threatening
tempestuous
alarming
havoc
relentless
powerful
wreckage
restoration

Where to start. To further solidify our compositions we were asked to make a mock up for a final one on one critique before the book was due. I'm not really sure what to say. I'm sort of a wreck right now as far as organization of thoughts go. This is a mess. I felt like I was going in the right direction after the last critique but after today I'm highly confused. The dot placement in the frame is strong but the imagery is making everything fall apart. I'm not sure what to do or where to go, all I know is I essentially took a step backwards. I've come to find it challenging for myself to successfully use the imagery to my advantage. I haven't found the harmony between abstract communication and literal imagery yet. I don't know if its a refinement issue in my image choice or what. I got some good feedback today but I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Time will tell. Here are some thoughts on my mind. 
1. Brewing- new imagery. making each dot a specific moment.
2. Threatening- clean up the perspective. Introduction of new images with same treatment.
3. Tempestuous- new color palette. more dots. scale.
4. Alarming- crop in tighter into a certain area that is more visually interesting. (see bounding box) 
5. Havoc- push scale and image. 
6. Relentless- Image change. no masking
7. Powerful- play with angles and color in the mid sized dots. 
8. Wreckage- loss for ideas right now. Definitely an image change though. Something more cohesive.
9. Restoration- new imagery. play with the idea of hopeful thinking. optimistic. go from a eroded dot to an image of construction

Perhaps I should con cider the emotional qualities of a hurricane. approach these compositions in more of a humanist way rather than repeating the fact that its a hurricane. My type says hurricane, my dots say hurricane, my images say hurricane. Maybe, well definitely, its too repetitious. If I make my imagery less supportive and more altering I think I will be in a good place.

We will see where this goes. Pushing myself out of the "obvious" is the toughest part. My idea of literal is a bit different than Jamie's. Lets see if I can get on her level. I'm pretty bummed about how bad a review this got but I'm trying to stay optimistic and fix the void in my book. Don't trip, get hip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment