Friday, September 9, 2011

Tender Buttons 1




First round attempts at some expressive typography using Gertrude Stein's words from Tender Buttons. Specifically the objects section. My thought process was to emphasize the way I read the poems. Also I wanted to take cues from her ideals of Cubism, fragmentation, and rhythm. As of now the compositions are a bit small and a little timid and conservative. Perhaps they need a little more umph. The reason for a smaller page size (3x5.5) was initially to create an intimate experience, making the reader bring the text closer to get a better understanding. There is a little more work involved as a viewer, than traditionally. In the next iterations I want to focus on the spacial relationships and how there can be visual breaks to create pauses, forcing my reader to read like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment